Monday, February 7, 2011

Granny Square tote bag is done!

Omigoodness!  How cute is this!  And, how glad am I that I had enough for TWO totebags.  One for me (natch!) and one for my lovely customer in Australia.  I even have enough blanket leftover to make some messenger bags.

Here's the process.  The first step is cutting the afghan up into totebag sizes.  Here's a picture of the pieces as I cut them.  I had enough for two of these cross-shaped pieces.  The narrow strips going out each side become the sides of the bag. 

The most boring part was to very carefully, in excellent light, snip the yarn connecting the different sections together.  I wanted my edge to be just the squares themselves.  No scalloped edge or other connecting threads.  Doing this for both bag pieces plus the leftover squares I'm going to use for messenger bags took FOREVER.

Once I had the threads snipped, I laced up the sides of the bag.  I've done this on my machine before, but the wear and tear sewing on such thick fabric is not worth it.  I couldn't get a good picture of the lacing, but it came out nice enough that I kept it on the outside, finished side of the bag!

So, now I have my bag form.  I then made my lining pieces including one pocket inside.  I also sewed the straps on by hand.  Now to the machine.  I did break two sewing needles between the two bags, but I was able to sew in the lining on the machine.  I sew right sides together and then flip the lining inside the bag and top stitch the fold.  Then I sew the bottom of the lining last from the right side.  This makes for a beautiful finished edge, but is rough on such thick fabric.  I think for the messenger bag I will make a finished lining with a pressed top edge and just sew the finished lining into the bag.  Easier on my machine.

Here's a shot of the lining.  Valori Wells "Hoot."  Very colorful with fanciful trees and flowers plus a couple of birds thrown in.  The pocket is just plain brown.  I didn't want any pattern to compete with the print.

All in all, a great project.  I'm only sorry I had the afghan for 6 months before actually doing it!

11 comments:

  1. What is the size of 1 granny square?
    Love the tote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The granny squares are just over 4-inches square. It's a generous tote. I used the same principles to make a little cross body bag that was 3 squares wide and high. No gusset. Just the two pieces laced together with a long strap.

    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Do you know where I can get the pattern for the square, please? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google granny square. Its the basic granny then felted

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry, but the blanket was an Etsy find. I did not make the blanket -- I just upcycled it. I'm not much of a crochet girl so you're on your own for the pattern. Thanks for asking, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea, thanks for sharing.
    This could even be made from scratch instead of repurposing an older granny square afghan...if you don't want to cut it apart.

    I just might have to make some of these for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea, thanks for sharing.
    This could even be made from scratch instead of repurposing an older granny square afghan...if you don't want to cut it apart.

    I just might have to make some of these for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buena idea, gracias.Thanks,good idea.
    Congratulations from La Serena - Chile

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao vorrei realizzata questa borsa.
    Sarebbe possibile?
    Grazie

    ReplyDelete